TEN FACTS ABOUT MY FAIR LADY THE STAGE MUSICAL PRODUCTION BY WORKSHOP PLAYERS
Ten Facts about My Fair Lady The Stage Musical production by Workshop players
“The difference between a lady and a flower girl Is not how she behaves, but how she is treated.”
1. Based on George Bernanrd Shaw's Pygmalion, ‘My Fair Lady’, is a much loved musical with book and lyrics byAlan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe.
2. The story revolves around Eliza Doolittle, a Cockney flower girl who takes speech lessons from Professor Henry Higgins who is a Phoneticist, so that she is able pass as a lady.
3. The musical premiered on Broadway on 15th March, 1956, at the Mark Hellinger Theatre in New York City.
4. The musical's 1956 Broadway production was a notable critical and popular success which has set a record for the longest run of any show on Broadway during that era.
5. It was followed by a hit London production, a popular film version, and numerous revivals.
6. My Fair Lady has frequently been called "the perfect musical" because of its perfect mixture of a story, music and lyrics.
7. 40 years ago, the Wendy Whatmore Academy staged My Fair Lady the musical in Sri Lanka with Christine Thambimuttu as Eliza Doolittle and Suresh Thambipillai as Colonel Pickering.
8. Interestingly Jerome L. De Silva who played Freddie in this production and is now, 40 years later, set to play Colonel Pickering himself in the Workshop Players 2017 production of ‘My Fair Lady’;
9. He would be backed by Kanishka Herat in the role of Professor Henry Higgins and Daniella Perera and Amarsha Tissera sharing the role of Eliza Doolittle.
10. The Workshop Players are set to bring to the stage ‘My Fair Lady’ with many new fresh faces amongst both lead and ensemble roles, on Friday the 6th of October at Lionel Wendt Theatre in their 25th Anniversary production.