TEN TIPS FOR SONG WRITING FROM SHERZI JUNAID OF CYNOSURE
Ten tips for song writing from Sherzi Junaid of Cynosure
“Some stories are meant to be told. Some stories are meant to be written down, and some are meant to be written down and become a song.” Sherzi Junaid from the local pop band “Cynosure”, shares 10 tips on song writing for aspiring musicians encouraging their journey to the recording studio !
1. You will need a paper + pen + someone who knows how to play an instrument + imagination.
2. I play a short melody on the guitar, usually the chorus and write the lyrics after I complete the rest of the melody- see if this works for you!
3. Lyrics can be about anything. I find writing about something I know, enjoy or affected appealing.
4. Rhyming words, complexity in subject matter and including metaphors need not be worried when writing lyrics.
5. Find your style when writing your own lyrics and melody. Make them sound different to create your own identity.
6. The simplest structure for a song contains a verse, chorus, another verse, chorus, a bridge and another chorus. However you can have your own structure as well.
7. The song develops when you keep coming back to it again and again.
8. Keep playing/singing the song until you are comfortable with it. You will definitely make some alterations to it until you get that feeling that your song is complete.
9. You can take the next step if you chose to record it either professionally or through your recording device.
10. Take the challenge and share your lyrics with friends and family. There are plenty of people who appreciate original music, because a song is a story and people love listening to stories!